Welcome to The Critter Sermon! Where I will be talking about all things fur, feathered and scaled related! It may be general news stories or the adventures my own critters get up too! We are still new and spreading our wings so come back soon to see how we grow!





Friday 26 August 2011

my secret weapon


So it is just over a week since I rescued my little Holly! She is a wonderful dog and has fitted in well with the family. She is however a really nervous girl who is going to need help gaining confidence in herself and with learning to trust us silly humans. This is a challenge I am more then willing to take on and can not wait to see the final outcome of. My other rescue dog Darkley also had a nervous side to him when I got him and with lots of work and love I feel I have a nice confident dog now, a place I hope to see holly.

What I did not realise was that the work and time I have spent with Darkley would be so important in helping Holly. Darkley is my super secret weapon! When choosing a pup to rescue the final say on what pup we got rested with Darkley. He met two other dogs before Holly and although the dogs were lovely, Darkley did not seem at all impressed by them, I got the “mum I am booooored” look! 

Holly and Darkley clicked right away! Running about and playing from the get go. There were a few days of adjusting when Holly first got home but you could see them bonding straight away. Holly is learning from Darkley all the time and it is amazing to watch. Today for example they both rolled in something.. I am not sure that I want to know what! So they needed a bath. Darkley hopped in the bath and got soapy while Holly watched and gave him a lick now and then and he gave her a nudge and lick back. She sat next to me taking it all in with a little wag as I told them that they were both being good pups. Next I put Holly in the tub and let her have a sniff at the bottle of shampoo and the shower head which she did not seem bothered by. She then was fine with being washed down and scrubbed! Next I brushed Darkley and blow dried him as she watched from her bed, she was not amused! Don’t worry I didn’t go near her with the hair dryer but she sat and watched me using it on Darkley and kept an eye on what was going on. She settled down and chose to ignore it which is better then running away from it!



I totally believe that the bathing would have been a lot harder with Holly if Darkley hadn’t shown her that it wasn’t too scary. It was also obvious to us that she wasn’t really sure what cuddles were but she knew she liked them! Darkley is a cuddle monster and will cuddle and snuggle with anyone who will let him. Many times I have woken up to Darkley snuggling up to me giving me his puppy dog eyes. He also will ask for tummy rubs from anyone, which is lovely but not when we are in the middle of an agility course! Holly has slowly picked up on what Darkley does. Yesterday she rolled right over for the first time to get her tummy rubbed and today she climbed up on the sofa with me for a cuddle (well kind of a cuddle, she didn’t really know what to do so she half laid on me and half stood up with her butt in the air! Very lady like!)

So Holly has only been here a short time and I have already learnt a lot and I think both the pups have too!  Your hard work with your dog can pay off in ways you won’t even think about!


No comments:

Post a Comment