Welcome to The Critter Sermon! Where I will be talking about all things fur, feathered and scaled related! It may be general news stories or the adventures my own critters get up too! We are still new and spreading our wings so come back soon to see how we grow!





Monday 24 October 2011

Bam! Pow! Bang!

Hello world!

So anything new in my little animal world? Hm not really which is okay by me really! Bon fire night is fast approaching and so is the amount of fireworks being let off which annoys me let alone the animals ( I don’t mind fireworks, just fireworks let off by fools who don’t know what they are doing aka everyone who lives around here!). Luckily Darkley is not too bothered by them unless they are loud and aimed at our house (like my lovely neighbours like to do, that’s when I can’t tell who is more freaked out me or the animals?!) most of the time when he hears a bang he will run to the door to go investigate! Last year I sat with him at the back door (with the door shut so he couldn’t make a run for it if he got spooked!) and we watched the fireworks for a while. Holly could not be more opposite! One bang and she is in her “safe places”, which are the dog bed downstairs or my bed. I am going to make the dog bed in to a den for her by next weekend hopefully to help her and my room has blackout curtains so she can hide in there away from the flashes if need be. Some of you may have seen on my facebook ( I had a “I need to tell everyone about my awesome dogs” moment on there! ) about Darkley being a good big brother to her last night. Holly was camped out in her bed refusing to move and just looking scared by every bang. Darkley came over to see if she was okay, he gave a sniff and a nudge then licked her face. He then trotted back and forth offering her toys to play with until she couldn’t resist any more and started to play with him and forgot to be scared. He actually made me go “awwww” outloud.. he is such a big softie. 

It’s been raining here tonight and pretty quiet on the fireworks front so I let the pups out for their evening pee. Suddenly there was a huge bang really close by, luckily Holly was right by me as it happened so she just ran behind me and then in the house…Darkley carried on sniffing! Looking panicked Holly headed upstairs (taking her ball with her of course) and I could hear her jump on to my bed. I left her up there a while then went to find her with Darkley. She didn’t seem too shaken, happy but on guard. We played for a while (with the collection of dog toys appearing on my bed somehow!) and she was happy enough to follow us downstairs. Thankfully all has been quiet since! I don’t mind people buying fireworks in general but I mind that a lot of places around here sell them to underage kids who just let them off randomly and dangerously.

So I got woken up this morning the usual way- Darkley and Holly sitting on the bed pawing at each other and “talking” at each other. As I open my eyes all I see is Holly stand up and flip upside down on to the floor landing on her head! She then bops back up waging her tail looking at me as if to say  “woah mum did you see that?! I totally did a flip!” and bounced back on the bed! She also managed to head-butt my laptop and walk in to a table today… this my friends is why I have pet insurance and I am doing a first aid course for pets!

Mojo the dragon has been looking a tad miserable lately. She struggles with shedding due to the bad breeding so I think that is making her a sad lizard right now. A lot of people say that lizards cant show emotions, which in part is true. Most, but not all, don’t want cuddles or even to be handled much really but like any pet you can tell when they are content or “happy”. I feel that as a pet owner you know your animals best and you know when something is wrong or right. So I moved all the rocks and things about her vivarium, I hadn’t done this much before because of her eyesight issues and I didn’t want to confuse her. She totally loved it though, leaping about, hiding in corners and dangling of branches! (had to rescue her though as she got stuck down the side of a rock and all I could see were her tiny legs waving about in the air! Haha luckily I was sitting next to her when she did it the fool!) Even with rubbish eyesight she can do so much, proud of the little lizard we didn’t think would live past last summer!

I also witnessed yesterday what I would call and temper tantrum from Holly. It was hilarious! She was chewing some toy for ages and it was getting to the stage that it was no longer a toy just a mass of rope and dog drool. She started to get bored with it so I took it off her and hid it behind my chair (if I put it in the bin I know full well where she would break in too when I weren’t looking!). Holly’s eyes widened and she started stomping/pacing past me going “roo roo roooooo”, then she thumped down and sat staring right at me! She repeated this a few times before stomping off to find something else to destroy! I spoke on a forum about this and someone else told me that the rooing noise is common in collie type lurchers (Colliexsighthound) dogs! She has starting to turn these “roos” in to howls when she is excited as well!

So as I was avoiding doing work on the computer today I ended up playing angry birds (as you do) my phone rang so I wandered off and left the laptop on the floor with and angry bird making angry bird noises as it was waiting for me to play. When I get back it sounds like there is some sort of budgie riot going on! The noise must have triggered them off to start bickering and shouting, which in turn set the rest of them off. High pitched chirps and toys being thrown about, I actually had my own flock of angry birds in my living room! Note to self: mute the computer from now on.

So enough of my babbling on, I have two snoring pups on my bed (Darkley is kicking me in his sleep!) and I can hear a gecko exploring their vivarium and seeing as they are nocturnal I should be asleep! For those with dogs afraid of fireworks http://www.dogsandfireworks.com is a good source of information to help you all and it is all free! 

Thankyou for all those that read this, you are all automatically now awesome for doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment