Welcome to The Critter Sermon! Where I will be talking about all things fur, feathered and scaled related! It may be general news stories or the adventures my own critters get up too! We are still new and spreading our wings so come back soon to see how we grow!





Saturday 1 October 2011

i knew it was too quiet with the pups!


Hello all

Firstly I wanted to say how sad I am to hear the result of the court case in regards to Lennox the poor pup taken from his family by people who sound like they have no idea what they are doing. It saddens me that things like this are still happening in the world. Like many people I send my love to Lennox’s family, I can’t even imagine what they are going through! 

Bullfighting in Spain has been banned. Thank god. I am under no illusion that it will still be going on in some parts and that many believe that it is part of their culture and refuse to give it up. However there is a new generation of people who are not as interested in Bullfighting. Attendance to these events was down a 3rd which is a positive sign that people are not as interested as they were in it!

Another awesome move is that the horrific Chinese dog eating festival has been banned and stopped. A “festival” that sounds horrific..again people see it as part of their culture and are upset about it. I do however feel that times have changed a lot and not all traditions fit in with societies and cultures, as times as change people need to as well. 

I mentioned this briefly in the pervious post! So at the start of the week Darkley and Holly were having a normal play fight and were running about the garden like mad, when my mum noticed Darkley was walking funny on his front left paw. I called him in and he sits next to me on the sofa and won’t let me get near his paw. Holly is with us and starts sniffing and licking his paw like mad..then I see the blood on the cover on the sofa. (the cover put there because the dogs are mucky pups!)  One of his claws has a chunk out of it! So I clean his claw as best as he would let me and get it to stop bleeding. However Darkley would not stop licking his claw (and Holly kept wanting to clean it too!) and it was obviously getting on his nerves, so I thought a trip to the vet wouldn’t hurt. So Darkley, Holly, my mum and I go to the vets as I wanted to check on Holly’s weight (she is back up to 16kg..slowly getting there!) I take Darkley in to the vet and I hear Holly go mental in the waiting room! Yapping and whining and trying follow us in too. So the vet takes a look at Darkley’s claw and says the only way it will heal is when the nail grows out but he could damage it further waiting for it to grow out. So the best thing to do was to cut the nail right back while he was under general anaesthetic.  He asked me when Darkley last ate and said he could do it right now for me and I would be able to pick Darkley up later that evening. Next thing I know I was saying goodbye to a very upset Darkley and walking out without him! Straight in to a very upset Holly who was confused to what I had done with her brother!  We get home and Holly plays for a bit and then starts to sulk as she really starts to miss Darkley. Meanwhile I am scrambling to work out how to claim on Darkleys insurance (everyone get pet insurance!) my printer has barely any ink but just enough for the form I have to fill in. I go to pick Darkley up and that was not my boy who came out! It was a wobbly, sleepy and depressed version of him. I gave the money and form over and picked up his antibiotics and anti inflammatories before taking a nice calm walk home with him. He is now sporting a bright orange bandage and is lying around the house acting like I have cut a limb off him! Holly has been amazing though, she has respected him enough to know that he is not up for playing and she has let him sulk as much as he wants! Got some food down him finally but he isn’t his normal piggy self! When my newer laptop is fixed I shall post some photos of Darkley acting depressed about his paw! We go back tomorrow to see how his claw is doing.. I am sure Darkley is going to love that!

Darkley and I have been moved in to the collie class at our agility, lord knows if we are good enough though! Darkley tried doing jumps on a higher level on Tuesday and did really well! So I know he is good enough but am I?! Worrying! 

Holly got a Kong dummy this morning, it is for puppies but I expected it to last longer then it did. She ripped through it like it was nothing!  She has such little sharp teeth that it makes me think she is a tad younger then they think she is haha! She also dug a huge hole right by where my little geckos are buried in the garden, thankfully she missed the geckos but she looked pretty proud of the hole!  She kicks the dirt so far though that it spreads out and i have no dirt to refill the hole with, the cheeky monkey! 

So it has been a mixture of a week, lots of good and bad points. Least I can say it wasn’t boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment